Lime and Coconut Muffins

Sunday, 9 May 2010

A sudden need to fill the cake tin resulted in these muffins. I must say I'm rather pleased with them. They are a little bit more special than my usual muffins which tend to be of the wholesome variety. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just felt the urge to fancy things up a bit.


My basic muffin recipe goes like this;

In a bowl mix
 9 oz  (250g) plain flour,
 ½ tsp salt
 1 tbsp baking powder
 4oz (110g) sugar

In another bowl or a jug mix
8 fl oz (225ml) milk
3 fl oz (85ml) sunflower oil or 3 oz (85g) butter, melted
1 egg

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Don't overbeat and don't use electric beaters. You simply need to make sure there are no clumps of dry flour.
Spoon the batter into paper muffin cases in a 12 hole muffin tin.
Bake at 200ºC (180ºC for a fan oven) for 25 mins.

To make these lime and coconut variations I added a cup (handful) of desiccated coconut to the dry ingredients. I zested and juiced two limes. I put about half the juice and some of the zest aside for the icing. The rest of the juice I put into my measuring cup before topping up with milk. I added the remaining zest to the dry ingredients.

Once baked and cooled I made a little icing by stirring icing sugar into the lime juice and zest to make quite a runny mixture. At the last minute I decided to throw in a handful of coconut. That turned out to be a good idea.


The icing was delicious and the muffins moist and light. Much nicer than my usual muffins which can be dry and heavy.

 Muffins are a perfect canvas for experimentation. Fruits of all kinds are an obvious additions. Nuts and seeds are delicious as is chocolate obviously. I make baklava muffins (from Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess). For these you half fill your muffin cases with a plain batter then put a teaspoon of a walnut, melted butter and brown sugar mixture on top and finish off with more batter. They are fabulous.
You can also vary the liquid in muffins by using fruit juice in place of milk. It occurs to me now that coconut milk would be a good idea for these particular muffins, might have been good in the icing too. Another good idea is to sprinkle the uncooked muffins with a topping like a crumble mixture or maybe granola or muesli. By the way the egg can successfully be left out if you replace it with 3-4 tbsp of milk.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, they sound tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look rather nice :) I made banana and choc hip muffins and an orange drizzle cake yeasterday - I love having full cake tins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy. I can taste them. Going to have a go.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger