If you go down to the woods today...

Wednesday, 12 May 2010





This little patch of woodland is a five minute walk from my house, and as you can see is well worth a visit at this time of the year. It is situated in the middle of the housing development I live on and is on my way to the doctor's surgery, the post office and a supermarket. Aren't I lucky?

: :

I've been enjoying tinkering with some baking recipes during the last few days.

First, let me show you these filled buns that I made this morning.

I had the idea for these bread buns filled with cheese, red onion and sun-dried tomatoes in bed last night (as you do) and couldn't wait to try it. They're designed to go in the lunchboxes but they were delicious straight from the oven. I'd made a batch of white bread dough for some plain loaves. I took some of the dough after it had risen for a couple of hours and divided it into 12 lumps which I then halved. I put one half in the bottom of each buttered muffin cup stretching it out.


Next I filled the cups with grated cheese, chopped red onion and chopped sun-dried tomatoes. This idea is ripe for variation, other possible fillings include; bacon, ham, salami, olives, pesto, tapenade, roast vegetables, chutney, crumbled sausage and the cheese could be any kind. Sweet versions would be fab too -cinnamon sugar and butter, maple syrup and pecans, apple and sultana, chocolate....

Next I stretched out the remaining pieces of dough and put them on top of the filling tucking the edges in. I sprinkled some more cheese on top and baked for 15-20 mins at 220°c (200°c fan oven).



My these are yummy. I shall certainly be making them regularly.

I've also been baking more muffins. This time I made some rhubarb and strawberry crumble muffins using some of the lovely English fruit around at this time of year. I simply added diced rhubarb and chopped strawberries to my basic muffin recipe (see preceding post). I then topped the uncooked batter with some crumble mix that I had in the freezer.





5 comments:

  1. Those Bluebells look so pretty. How great that these are virtually on your doorstep.

    And, my goodness me, those savoury bread rolls look absolutely scrummy. I'll definitely be giving these a go. I have some Onion Chutney and Sunblush Tomatoes in the fridge - I'll set to work experimenting with these tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Those rolls look yummy - my kids call them pizzarollas when I make them! (sorry, shall stop with the kiddie references at some point!)
    Pauline :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. why oh why can I not bake muffins??? Whats the secret??? I adore muffins but have never had success with them, mine never rise. yours look amazing Sue.
    your rolls also look lush too....oo I'm quite inspired to bake now :o)
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bread rolls look delicious. Thanks for the idea. I'm going to give them a try this weekend. They look perfect picnic food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I soooo love the look of your cheese and onion filled rolls mmmmm......good job I'm the only one in our family that likes that combination as I could scoff the lot!

    Have a fabulous weekend,

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger