Spicy

Tuesday, 6 April 2010

A bit of a foodie post today. This is our lunch today, a Greek salad with garlic and zatar pitta breads.

Zatar is a middle eastern spice blend of sumac, sesame seeds and herbs. Barts is the one I use. To make these spiced pittas simply slash the breads a few times, mix a couple of teaspoons of spices with two crushed garlic cloves and some olive oil. Smear it over the pittas and pop under the grill. Use what ever spices you like.

This was our Easter lunch- mechoui-style roast lamb. I got the idea from this book which is full of fabulous easy ideas for everyday food.



I mashed a chunk of butter with six cloves of garlic and some cumin, cayenne and paprika. I smeared this all over the lamb and left it overnight then roasted it. It was gorgeous. We ate it with roast carrots and potatoes. The children particularly enjoyed it. They love spicy food.

This was our supper this evening. Leftover lamb pilaff. More spices, this time a blend called Baharat which is another middle eastern mixture. For this I cooked some onions and garlic in butter and olive oil, then I added the spices, half a tin of chopped tomatoes, some sultanas and dried apricots and then some leftover lamb. I cooked the rice separately and mixed the two mixtures together. I ate mine with some plain yogurt and a green salad. It was delicious.

I still have lamb leftover. Tomorrow I will make stock with the bones and supper will be harissa spiced lamb and chickpea stew to eat with couscous. I'm definitely having a bit of a middle eastern thing at the moment.

: :

I put together an Easter sampler today.

I do love putting these samplers or mosaics together. I admit I shamelessly pinched the idea from Lucy at Attic24. Her mosaics are gorgeous and are one of the things that inspired me to start this blog. Making these samplers certainly makes me happy!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:04 pm BST

    Mmmmm the food looks lovely, well done an s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g the lamb, brings the price down a bit doesn't it?

    Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that all sounds rather scrumptious.
    I love spicey food too (pity the other half isn't quite as keen).
    I'll definitely go and check out that book - I'm all for simple cooking that tastes amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks deicious,especially the salad (I'm sure the lamb is lovely too but I am not much of a carnivore)
    I am keen to master the art of mosaics. Do you make yours on Picasa of Flickr? (or something else?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use BigHugeLabs

    http://bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php

    You can use photos from your pc or from flickr or facebook. I find it easiest to upload them from flickr.

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger