Loveliest of Trees....

Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Not the Quince Tree just yet, she will be lovely before long, but the tree of the moment is my flowering cherry which grows at the bottom of my front lawn. I have been waiting for the opportune moment for the past week. That moment happened this afternoon, blue skies, sun shining and blossoms at their fullest. Perfect blog candy don't you think? I do love my digital camera :o)




The blossoms only hang around for about a week before falling in a thick carpet on our drive and lawn. My daughter and the neighbouring girls sweep them into great piles and throw armfuls to the skies. Then the green leaves appear until a week in October when they all turn orange before falling to the ground. Then we have a repeat performance with the leaves being swept and thrown.

The following poem is about white cherry blossoms not pink ones, in fact I imagine the cherry trees in question are proper fruiting cherries and not the utterly useless but utterly beautiful kind I have. Whatever, it is a lovely poem.

Loveliest of Trees the Cherry Now
by AE Housman

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room,
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow


8 comments:

  1. Definitely blog candy of the beautiful kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:33 pm BST

    Great poem, I remember it from school. You do have an eye for a good photograph, the images on your blog are brilliant. Cheers.

    grooverider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful 'yaezakura'! And in full bloom too. Must be slightly warmer where you are than in Tokyo at the moment, as the ones in Tokyo are only just starting to bloom. Yaezakura blooms about a week after the normal sakura flowers. Yours have such lovely strong pink colouring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thumb is mending just fine thanks. Men do fuss so. Now Sue you said you loved DT or did you lerrrrve him? I know I did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My flowering cherry is not in bloom yet. I'm going to go and have stern words with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd forgotten how great that poem is. I bet your tree looked utterly joyful on this gorgeous spring day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. stressedoutmumof17:35 am BST

    Gorgeous pictures, I never knew that about the blossom only staying on the trees for about a week. I shall appreciate them all the more now - thanks

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger