Corners of My Home

Wednesday, 10 March 2010

You've seen this post on many a blog. Glimpses of prettiness from around someone's lovely home. Floral patterned china, pots of indoor bulbs, a plate of homebaked biscuits, some gorgeous craft project on the go. I love these sort of pictures, they inspire me so much. I've discovered that it is quite easy to find little corners of eye candy to photograph for your blog. Just remember not to show the crud.

Good corner



Bad Corner

Good corner

Very bad corner

Good corner

Bad corner -under the bed

Good corner

Bad corner

Good corner

Bad corner

Good corner

Bad corner -daughter's room


Cake makes everything better.

I often wonder when I look at beautiful rooms in books and on blogs where the real life is. Where's the unsightly junk that inevitably covers every surface in a family home - homework, letters from school, shiny black gadgets trailing wires everywhere, crumbs, ancient peas and bits of sweetcorn, hairbrushes, hair thingummies, red wine stains on the mantel-piece, socks drying on radiators and the piles laundry (real laundry not just pretty pillowcases and tablecloths)?

My house is by no means filthy (despite what the pics above seem to show), it is in fact quite orderly and uncluttered. There are three homecooked meals on the table every day, homebaked bread in the bread bin , laundry done every day, bathrooms and kitchen clean and organised. However, it could certainly do with being completely redecorated. Unfortunately both C and I hate decorating. I dream of getting someone in to do it all for us but C won't hear of the expense, but he won't do it himself either.

 I could have cleaned a room thoroughly from top to bottom in the time it has taken to write this post. By the way I have now dealt with the dust shown in the pictures above. Honest. God, I hope my mother in law doesn't see this :o)



14 comments:

  1. One day while perusing lovely pictures on a blog _ suddenly thought that something was not quite right. I went back and looked closely and saw what had niggled me.

    Some items appeared in more than one room - just discretely placed to give ambience!

    I think your good corners are quite charming and the bad corners, well, as I look at a tangle of wires, like the poor - they are always with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a few 'bad corners' make a home a home, otherwise it's more of a 'show home' - something you exist in not live in :-)

    Just catching up on posts . . . can I ask (it's become quite an obsession of mine, lol) what is the size of the bread tins you use for the loaves in the photos a few posts back? Also, I was admiring your ripple blanket, and have uploaded a photo to my Flickr stream just for you. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kadeeae, they're different dimensions but they're all 2lb capacity. I'll pop over to Flickr and look at your pic ;o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue,

    Im also a real fan of your blog too, its a bit like aspirational living for me! I love the idea of photographing the "dodgy bits".

    Its what makes your home unique. Youve inspired me to take some snaps of my home- we may be moving soon - so want to makem sure its all documented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Essex-girl7:50 pm GMT

    Love it, real life lol. Has given me hope I always feel inadequate when I see other peoples 'Corners of my home' and worry I am the only person with dust bunny's under my bed.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I read Essex-girls comment a memory flashed into the brain. Some thirty years ago I met a lady who was about ninety. She was telling me stories of when she was a young married woman. Every day her mother came to her house and looked under the beds to make sure 'The Girl' (little maid of all work) had done her job.

    'She didn't trust me to supervise her properly' she told me.

    there's a magpie in my garden collecting twigs - I wonder if it realises just why it feels this need every March?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your blog and this post made me laugh! I have to say I prefer your good corners - the bad ones are a bit like home. Very brave of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sue, I do love visiting your blog. I've added you to my blog roll now. A x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there - this post is great! Maybe I'll post some pics of my bad corners in support :-)

    My Mum gave me a tile which says 'This house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy'...I wouldn't want it any other way!!!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aoife from Little Pink Room sent me to visit your corners. How true, how true. This is the real reason why most of the home pictures in my blog are cropped so tightly!!

    There's a flickr group called Cluttered Corners of my Home set up here:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/clutteredcorners/pool/
    dedicated to the less than shiny elements of all our lives. Your honesty makes me smile (and the base of our telly dust is just the same!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! What a brilliant post!! I've seen good corners on blog posts but never the 'bad' before... nice to know other people have those too! Mine usually have 'dust bunnies' in them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh lordy, I had to laugh as we also have a Samsung flat screen tv thingy that is ALWAYS covered in dust!! And it shows up so badly too. I swish it occasionally with a pink feather duster but the dust settles again almost immediately.
    My house is ALWAYS messy, dusty and chaotic, but you know what, i quite like it that way!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the lovely comments, I've obviously struck a chord! Ali, thank you for that link xx what I really need is a Flickr group for dirty,grungey corners rather than merely cluttered ones lol!

    The tv thingy is the bane of my life. I hate it so, my heart sank when C brought it home- 'didn't they have anything wooden?' I wailed. Honestly, Lucy is right, you dust it and the dust just settles again immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of the many reasons why I love your blog. I LOVE seeing the Corners of My Home posts from all those picture-perfect blogs. I sincerely do. But every once in awhile I do consider them when looking around my own house. And then I do this:
    http://thegregarioushomebody.blogspot.com/2011/08/corners-of-my-home.html

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger